Resources for Clubs
Club Budgeting Guide
Budgets allow your club to effectively plan the use of your resources throughout the school year. Below are some helpful tips for creating your clubs budget.
1. Include all revenues and expenses.
This budget is used as a reference point throughout the year. Reimbursements that are not listed in the budget will not be approved without a Budget Amendment form.
2. Be as specific as possible.
Make sure to list a specific description of the revenue/expense. Use “Promotional t-shirts for event” as opposed to “clothing.”
3. Research your costs.
Call suppliers, go to stores and look at past budgets. This ensures you’re allocating money efficiently and will have an idea of what to expect. When possible, obtain a physical copy of an estimate (such as an email) so that you can refer to the quoted price when necessary.
4. Clubs are intended to enhance student life at Laurier.
Ensure your spending adheres to Budget Allocation Policy as well as the Clubs and Associations Department Policy.
Back To Top
Expense Form Guide
This form must be typed. Handwritten submissions will be returned.
1. Download the Expense Form (Waterloo/Brantford) and fill it out electronically.
2. Enter the following information:
Payee: Enter the name of the student receiving the cheque or the name of the company in which you would be paying an invoice.
Payee Phone/Email: This is how we will contact you regarding any issues.
Payee Address: Enter an address only if you want your cheque mailed to you. If you leave it blank, your cheque can be picked up at the U-Desk.
Club Name: Enter the name of your club.
Account Number: Enter the 4 digit number found beside the designated account on your budget.
Invoice./Reimbursement Req/Internal Transfer: If you are paying an invoice, check Invoice. If you have paid already and have a receipt, check Reimbursement Req. If you need to make a payment to somewhere within the university (ie. WLU catering, AV rental), an internal transfer can be made.
Use Budget/Deposited Money/Special Event Funding: Money in your account is designated money received from your budget or money that has been deposited as a club. If the expense was approved in the budget to use Students’ Union enter the amount under “Use Budget Money.” For an expense that was no approved enter the amount under “Use Deposited Money.” If you were approved for Special Event Funding check the special event funding box.
Date: Enter the date on the receipt/invoice
Description: Enter a description of the expense, be specific. (ie. Clothing for executives)
Invoice Total: Enter the total for the invoice/receipt
Total HST: Enter the total HST paid
New Total: This will calculate automatically
Requested By: Enter your name
Date Requested: The date of submission
3. Attach Necessary Documents:
Attach all receipts and invoices needed for reimbursement. Note that you will need to attach an itemized receipt to receive reimbursement. When submitting for CICDA or FOSSA funding, please attach your approval email.
4. Obtain Signatures:
If you are a faculty affiliated club, you will need signatures from your faculty advisor and your student society president. If you are a non-faculty, you will need a signature from your club president.
5. Drop of your expense request to the Student Centre, room 106 in Brantford; to the Students’ Union office in Waterloo, 2nd Floor FNCC.
NOTE* If you are a faculty club, drop off the expense form to your respective Faculty Association.
6. Expense request forms dropped off Tuesday by 10am will have cheques available at the U-Desk by that Friday. If that deadline is missed, the cheque will be available the following Friday.
Back To Top
Deposit Form Guide
1. Fill out your club name, name of student making the deposit, date of the deposit and student signature.
2. Enter the total amount to be deposited
3. Please select how the money being deposited was raised:
- Admissions: Such as through charging cover for an event
- Membership Fees: Collecting fees from your members
- Donations: Receiving donations
- Sponsorship: Receiving sponsorship from an outside party
- Fundraising – Charity: This is for fundraising done with the intent of donating that money to a charity
- Fundraising – Operational: This is for fundraising done with the intent of using that money for the operation of your club.
4. Description: Any further clarification on how the money was raised.
5. Account number, Faculty/Student’s Union, Club Account Number: Filled out by administration
6. List the quantity and totals for the money you are distributed in the form of loose coins, rolled coins, bills and/or cheques. If you are receiving payments in cheques, please have them made out to”Wilfrid Laurier Students’ Union” and have your club name listed in the memo.
7. Calculate the total cash and/or cheques deposited and subtract and float advanced that you had received to calculate your total deposit.
Once your form is complete and money collected bring them:
On the Brantford campus, please bring it to Nicole de Soysa on the second floor of the Student Centre, room 106
In Waterloo, bring the money and deposit form to Pat Miller in the Students’ Union office, 2nd floor FNCC.
Back To Top